Treats menopausal symptoms, including hot flashes, night sweats, headache / migraine, irritability, palpitations, vertigo, tinnitus, depression, insomnia, low back pain, hot palms and soles, constipation, breakthrough and functional uterine bleeding, bleeding gums, graying of hair, and lowered sex drive
Chinese Therapeutic Effects
Internal: 3 tablets, TID, between meals
90 tablets, 650 mg, 10 day supply
270 tablets, 750 mg, 30 day supply
Epimedium leaf (yin yang huo), Morinda root (ba ji tian), Tang Kuei root (dang gui), Curculingo rhizome (xian mao), Eclipta herb (han lian cao), Ligustrum fruit (nu zhen zi), Moutan root bark (mu dan pi), Lycium cortex (di gu pi), Anemarrhena root (zhi mu), Phellodendron cortex (huang bai), Licorice root (gan cao), Red Date fruit (da zao)
Pinyin Reference: Modified Er Xian Tang
Three Immortals is based on the formula Er Xian Tang, developed in Shanghai to treat menopausal symptoms due to yin and blood deficiency with upward floating of yang. Herbs from Two Extremes Pills (er zhi wan) and licorice and red dates decoction (gan mai da zao tang) have been added to complete the therapeutic picture for the complex symptom profile seen in American women with menopause. Curculingo (xian mao), morinda (bai ji tian), and epimedium (yin yang huo) warm kidney yang and nourish jing (kidney essence). Epimedium nourishes yin and prevents liver yang from rising. Eclipta (han lian cao) and ligustrum (nu zhen zi) nourish yin. Moutan (mu dan pi) removes heat from the blood and invigorates blood circulation. Phellodendron (huang bai), anemarrhena (zhi mu), and lycium (di gu pi)nourish kidney yin and drains deficient heat. Licorice (gan cao) clears heat. Red date (da zao) and tang kuei (dang gui)nourish blood.
- This formula has been used for premature menopause, for women who experience menopausal symptoms, but have not actually reached menopause. The formula can bring back the period while reducing the symptoms.
- See Health Concerns Newsletters: Vol. 7 No. 4 Commonly Asked Practitioner Questions: Gynecology Issues(Gaeddert); Vol. 11 No. 2 Commonly Asked Practitioner Questions: Gynecology Issues, Part 2 (Gaeddert); Vol. 4 No. 2 Pre & Postmenstrual Syndromes (Fratkin); Vol. 4 No. 4 Damp Heat Dysmenorrhea & Unlocking Formula(Flaws)
- Combine with Coptis Purge Fire (1 to 3 tablets QID) for stronger effects against hot flashes. This combination has proven very effective
- Use Cramp Bark Plus to treat cessation of menstruation due to causes other than menopause, including cold with Qi and blood stagnation
- Use Eight Treasures if childbirth and surgery have exhausted Qi and blood leading to amenorrhea
- Consider Nine Flavor Tea or New Great Yin for yin deficient night sweats
- Use Woman’s Balance if there are menopausal symptoms with anger, irritability, and other signs of liver qi stagnation
- Consider New Great Yin for hot flashes and menopausal heat symptoms